- In general softer grades (65sh) are used for increased ink deposits and high coverage printing. Harder grades (85sh) are used for reduced deposits, notably when printing UV inks for fine texts and higher line counts.
- Do not apply excessive pressure on squeegees as this makes your ink deposit heavy and uncontrollable, and creates excessive wear.
- It is recommended that your squeegee slightly exceeds the printed image in size, and to leave significant free space between your screen edge and both squeegee ends.
- Gently insert the squeegee in a machine or hand holder.
- Use appropriate squeegee thickness to avoid forcing the blade in the holder.
- If the holder construction allows for it, regularly change the printing side of the squeegee to minimise the effect of bending with speed and pressure.
- Rotate your squeegee : do not wait until mechanical & chemical wear bents permanently back your blade to replace it by a fresh one and allowing it to relax, flat, for up to 24 hours.
Remove excess of ink with a cardboard or a soft cloth. Wash blade with an impregnated cloth or in an appropriate cleaning machine. Avoid the use of aggressive chemicals, in particular ink thinners. Let the squeegee rest and the chemicals evaporate before re-use or sharpening.
serilor®squeegee blades can be sharpened by all methods commonly used in the screen printing industry
(FIMOR offers an extended range of diamond wheel sharpeners, please contact us for more informations).
- Belt grinders
- Wheel sharpeners
- Knife cutting machines
Sharpen dry squeegees only. Never allow a squeegee with solvents to be sharpened and don’t wash a hot, freshly sharpened blade with chemicals. Do not try to grind excessive material in one pass.Precision printing requires a preventive sharpening to accomodate the squeegee edge to the holder shape.
Storing / Shelf life
For all medium or long term storage, blades must be kept flat, unrolled, especially prior to use. Store in a dry cool place away from any direct source of light. If the squeegee is exposed to extreme temperature and humidity conditions, its hardness characteristics may be altered.
For a complete guideline about how to safely manage squeegees, please consult the « Why & how to sharpen squeegees » document in the Downloads and videos section.